Thursday, September 14, 2017

Basketball by Kallen M


Everything has been leading up to this moment. The grip of the ball pounded against my red raw hand as I dribbled the ball up the court. The red digits read 89-91. Australia down by two points with only 10 seconds remaining. We weren’t going to lose to America, not now, not ever!


The roar in the crowd made my palms sweaty as I continued to strategize what to do. I passed off to Ben who went for a drive but couldn’t as the defence was too strong. His feet squeaking as he back-peddled to the three point line, 5 seconds left. Ben passed back to me and I did a few fancy tricks like putting the ball around my back and through my legs. 1 second left.


In what seemed like slow motion, I fell back as my fingers arced the ball into the air. Time froze. The milliseconds that were left had stopped counting down. The ball hung in mid-air, the crowd’s hands and mouths moving around in fear and hope, the mixed emotions swirling through the stadium. SWISH!!!

2 comments:

  1. You captivated the audience well worth your words Kallen. The use of short, sharp sentences certainly built up the tension and anticipation - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Kallen the descriptive language was really engaging

    ReplyDelete