Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Midnight Cat by Tom W

I woke up from a terrible dream, welcomed by the ever so bright white full moon which cast mists of air into the dark night. The sky was pale as the moon dominated the skies and stars showing off its ghostly colour. Black clouds desperately tried to cover up the moon with their blue spears and thick droplets, but the moon struck through it like its light was a sword.


Having light provided by the moon, I saw how much of a tragedy my room was. Unfinished books scattered on the ground, with liquid splattered on them with my clumsiness. My toys mauled by my unthoughtful manner, later leaving them in this area, which made me remember distinctively of a landfill site.
That’s when I came to an awful realisation of why I woke up. Tied to the dream I just had, I could hear awful claws scraping against the glass. It was making a terrible sound. I could hardly bear the fact that that noise was not from my dream but from the window outside.

Right then, fear overwhelmed me, as I could hear my heart racing. I thought it would explode from the effort it gave. But my confidence was strong. Fear could manage to pump my heart, but confidence could control fear. So confidence won over fear and took me to the midnight cat.

I willingly put my head outside to have a glimpse of where the sound was emitting. My eyes drifted to a pale, opaque cat. Supernatural events were myths, but finally one became history. A ghost was standing in front of me and it wanted to enter the house. Yellow eyes and black pupils pierced me with fear as its jaw unhinged, revealing sickle-like teeth, sharper than even a machete. The colour red swam in the cat’s mouth, as it looks like it wants more red…


But no. It was a yawn. Myths stay as myths as they’re not real. As a cloud covered the moon, its skin turned black, as reflection let go of its cloak. The yellow eyes looked pleading, as it had been scraping on the window for shelter and a home. I sighed and let the cat in. It defiantly had a great name already, as ‘the Midnight Cat’ sounded fantastic. Midnight. Midnight and I then shared the bed and entered a deep slumber.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Word Choice Tom! I love "mauled by my unthoughtful manner" and "Yellow eyes and black pupils pierced me with fear"
    Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete